8 Things That Lead To Emotional Exhaustion video
The emotional exhaustion is a feeling of being overwhelmed or feel able to cope with everyday life psychologically, because you feel so tired / a that you think you've run out of strength to continue fighting.
This can happen to you at any level: work, personal, sentimental, social, family, in terms of health, ... You feel that you are unable to get ahead.
This happens when we have been carrying the weight that we have accumulated for a long time, supporting it on our backs, and an important event just arrives that fills the glass and overflows it. Here begins the feeling of helplessness.
It can also happen to you when, after a series of events that have meant a lot of emotional wear and tear, a small thing already means a world or an uphill impossible to reach.
The curious thing about this exhaustion is that it does not always surface during or before that demand to continue "pulling the car", it can appear just after you have overcome everything, as a consequence of all the effort you have used.
Why is it so important that you "treat" emotional exhaustion?
It could be said that emotional exhaustion is (in a high probability) the prelude to other more serious problems such as depression, anxiety and other physical illnesses such as ulcers or problems in the digestive system.
It also supposes a lack of control of the biological rhythm that can affect our sleep, appetite, energy and a long etcetera. It can de-structure your entire life on a physical level.
At work level, it can also make it difficult for you to maintain or establish working relationships or cope with the tasks that you have established. What's more, you can miss out on important opportunities because you feel unmotivated and tired.
And, speaking of work, there are different problems associated with emotional exhaustion in the workplace, such as "Burned Man Syndrome" (or "Burnout") or "Burned Caregiver Syndrome" , which even involve sick leave.
On a personal level, it can mean you stop enjoying the things you like the most or being able to spend quality time with people around you who you love, when you did before. It can affect your relationships with your partner, family, friends, ...
Symptoms of emotional exhaustion.
If you think you have emotional exhaustion, you probably have several of the following symptoms. If so, the most prudent thing is to remedy them now, so that your problem does not get worse:
- Feeling exhausted or tired physically and mentally and that feeling does not go away whatever you do.
- You have trouble sleeping or falling asleep and / or staying asleep. It's hard for you to fall asleep or, when you wake up in the middle of the night, you can't rest again.
- You suffer from stomach pain, muscle pain (back, neck, ...), headache, ...
- You do not feel like anything, you are not motivated in any area of your life.
- You are constantly very sensitive, irritable and / or nervous and that feeling does not go away.
- You suffer from recurring forgetfulness of important things (and it didn't happen before).
- You have difficulty thinking and / or concentrating, not only at work or studies, but in general, even in a conversation with a friend or watching a movie or series.
- You feel apathy (emotional emptiness) or problems when it comes to feeling emotions, to the point that you don't know how you feel.
- You do not feel yourself, nor do you recognize yourself.
Manifesto against emotional exhaustion.
I would like to dedicate a few words to you, that you feel overwhelmed, exhausted and unwilling, that you force yourself to always stay ahead and do not allow yourself to relax.
I am going to divide this manifesto against your emotional exhaustion in two:
On the one hand...
"Be compassionate to yourself"
- If it hurts, it hurts, period . Let no one tell you that it is not so bad, that if that is nothing or that you exaggerate. Express your way of feeling, because you have the right to always do it (from an assertive position and with respect for others).
- Allow yourself moments of weakness and vulnerability. If you need to fall from time to time, because the weight you are carrying is impossible to support, put it aside for a while. You are not the Hulk or any other superhero, you are a human person.
- Do not compare or underestimate your penalties . That others have had a worse time than you does not mean that what you are suffering is silly. Each one has their weights and carries them the best they can.
- Take a break, no one is essential . The world is not going to stop because you stop for a few hours, nobody is so essential as to stop the world. Think about it, you are one person among millions and
- You are not perfect, accept it and NOTHING HAPPENS for not being perfect . Trying to be perfect is the worst mistake you can make, because you can never achieve it because it is impossible.
- If you don't get to everything, you don't get: learn to say no . Think of yourself from time to time and if something doesn't appeal to you or you can't do it, say so.
- Nobody forces you to be "indestructible" except you and, if they do, they are being unfair. I have nothing more to tell you about it.
- Lean on those who really love you and love you well. They are those who will not demand more from you and who will take care of you if you need it or, if they ask for "more" and you tell them, they will understand and stop "pressuring you".
- If you need professional help, don't hesitate : go to a psychologist. You don't have to go through it alone.
But I also tell you ...
"Be an example of overcoming"
- Think about the wonderful thing that you do have . Do not keep everything "bad" in your life. Be grateful for those things that you own and can enjoy.
- Do not always be the cloth of tears or the sustenance of someone without being able to be he / she yours . Relationships of any kind are a 'give and take'. Look for reciprocal relationships of love, trust, friendship, ...
- Life is not pain . Don't become a martyr for the things that have happened to you. If you don't like something, try to work to change it, settling and waiting for things to change doesn't always work.
- Find time for yourself and time with others . Pamper yourself and give yourself a minimum of 30 minutes a day to do what you like the most or something that will come in handy for you. But also spend time with other people who take you away from your constant worries and pressures.
- Take a deep breath and take things one by one , you will see how you move forward little by little. Set short, medium and long-term goals and priorities (not only in your work, but in your life, in general).
- Have your moments of energetic escape and rest , for example: physical exercise and spa or relaxation. Find your yin yang or balance.
- Be assertive: assert your rights too . Always give your opinion with respect.
- Get inspired by other people who made it through difficult times or tried hard. For example, take inspiration from Pablo Ráez's fight against his leukemia. Although in the end he could not overcome it, he did not stop fighting for him and for many other patients. I leave you a documentary about their fight.
- Be an example for yourself and for others , but above all for yourself. Believe in yourself and take care of yourself constantly. Hold in high esteem, value yourself, and love yourself.
Above all, do not look for strength in your pain, your anguish or your regret. The true strength emanates from the positive, from motivation, from the desire to improve, from resilience, from love,... and you will find none of this carrying a backpack that you are unable to move. Perhaps the time has come to put down that heavy backpack you carry on the road and / or start emptying it.
Think that the best suitcases are those with wheels and those are not loaded on the back, they are carried lightly by the side: they accompany you, they do not oppress you.
How many personality types human beings have is one of the most discussed topics in psychology . Understanding what others are like is very helpful in establishing effective relationships with other people. How to identify each one has been the subject of research for years by many experts and it seems that now a team has managed to...
When it comes to sexuality and gender, labels are both a help and a hindrance (Shutterstock)
In an increasingly interconnected world, it may seem strange that there are still people who feel lonely, but the reality is this. New technologies have made us exchange words more frequently, but the impact they have had on the quality of the emotional bonds that unite people has not been unequivocally positive.
First, it is important to understand that anxiety is a natural response of the body . It is an adaptive mechanism that helps us survive, prepares us for possible danger. We all feel anxiety at some point in our lives; however, we need to be able to tell the difference when it becomes a problem like experiencing an anxiety attack....
One of the easiest "traps" to fall when we are in a relationship, whether in a relationship, friendship or family, is emotional attachment. It is about the dependency that is created between two people and that means that we cannot be 100% independent. Our happiness does not depend, then, on ourselves, but will be very dependent on the...
Do you think you can have depression? Discover the most common symptoms of depression and how to detect them early. Enter and find the best way to know how to detect depression.